There are many reasons why someone might stay in an abusive relationship. It’s possible that…
- They don’t know where else to go
- They may still love their partner
- They hope their partner will change and the violence will stop
- They don’t want to take their children away from the other parent
- They don’t have the money to leave
- They don’t feel strong enough to leave. Because of the abuse they’ve stopped believing in themselves.
Just like you might feel mixed-up about what’s happening, your parent might also feel confused about what to do. If you have questions about what’s going on, don’t be afraid to ask. Sometimes it might be difficult for your parent to talk to talk to you about the violence because they want to protect you.
Posted in: Is it happening to me?